What are botulinum toxin injections?
The purpose of botulinum toxin injections is to relax the muscles to prevent mimic wrinkles in the face. Botulinum toxin blocks a nerve impulse that causes muscles to contract. As a result, the muscles remain relaxed for a longer period of time.
Botulinum toxin is injected directly into the muscles that cause wrinkles with a thin needle.
How does botulinum toxin work?
The toxin causes paralysis in the injected muscle, blocking nerve transmission to the mimic muscle. When the toxin stops working, muscle function also returns.
For which wrinkles is botulinum toxin used?
- Horizontal wrinkles on the forehead
- Vertical wrinkles between the eyebrows
- Chicken toes around the eyes
- The corners of the mouth sink downwards
- “Smokers’ wrinkles” (fine wrinkles around the mouth)
- Rough chin
How is botulinum toxin administered?
In mimic wrinkles, the toxin is dissolved and very small amounts are injected directly into the muscle to be affected. The injected muscle weakens and mimic wrinkles no longer work after about 1 week. The client does not feel any discomfort, but notices that he can no longer “frown”.
Botulinum toxin can also be combined with hyaluronic acid filler injections if wrinkles are deeper or facial asymmetry needs to be corrected.
The injections are almost painless and the procedure is quick, approx. 30 min. The injected area should not be touched or massaged after the procedure. Immediately after the injection, there may be a slight swelling, which usually resolves in 4 to 24 hours.
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding
- Active herpes
- There is active skin disease or inflammation at the injection site
- Neuromuscular diseases
Risks and side effects of the procedure:
- There may be a short-term headache after the procedure
- Bruising may occur at the injection site
- Injections around the eye may cause a lower eyelid e. ptoos. It usually lasts a few days, but it is possible to stay longer. Ptosis is caused by weakness of the eyelid muscles due to the toxin. Iopidine or aproclonidine eye drops can alleviate the problem.
How long does the result last?
The post-injection result is usually maintained for 3-6 months. The interval for further injections increases as the mimic muscle becomes thinner over time and the patient himself begins to use less mimic muscles.
What do you need to know?
- Laser treatment, chemical peeling and other skin treatments should be avoided for 2 weeks before and 1 week after the procedure to prevent inflammation.
- Aspirin and other blood thinners, such as Ibuprofen, Paracetamol or Hjertemagnyl, should be stopped 1 week before.